Posts Tagged ‘discharge’

At a stand-still with registering with the VA

December 3rd, 2008 3 comments

Did you know that candidates separated from the Marine Corps are never given a DD 214 or any other kind of discharge papers? According to my disenrollment letter:

You are separated as a Officer Candidate Disenrollment, Code JFW1. Your description of service is “entry level separation.” Members in this status do not receive a discharge certificate or characterization of service at separation.

So things are at a stand-still until I receive official orders to TDRL. It turns out because I don’t have (and won’t be getting) a DD 214, nobody is able to register me. All they can tell me at the national VA headquarters and at the local level here in Boston, is that cases like mine are handled at a regional level. Try calling your regional VA office and the call will go straight to the national headquarters.

A Marine Officer who graduated OCS in 1967 found my site and offered some excellent advice to getting things worked out. He recommended I get in touch with my local Disabled American Veterans. Let’s hope they will be able to assist me with the VA.

Waiting to register with the VA

October 20th, 2008 No comments

Found out from a contact at the VA that until I receive my DD214 (discharge papers), I’m still considered in the military. So I’ll just have to wait until I’m officially discharged on November 9th to register.

Categories: Marines Tags: , ,